Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Gluten-free June: a post at last

I have been eating a gluten free diet since 2 June and I can safely say that one of the side effects is that you become a less diligent blogger.   Finally posting some initial thoughts on this diet which I was particularly interested in as I have two Coeliac friends (Mark and Pete) and I wanted to see what it was like to live with their forced dietary requirements.  In case you do not know, my Coeliac friends are not from Coelia: they have Coeliac's disease which gives them an intolerance of gluten.  

Check out some more yummy facts on gluten here.  It is a combination of two proteins and I was fascinated to read that gluten was first discovered by vegetarian Buddhist monks who were looking for something to give their food some more elasticity like meat.   This knowledge has come back to haunt me: as you will hear, the lack of gluten can lead to some pretty dry, flaky, nay, friable food items which is not appetising.   However, generally, I am loving the diet: as ever it is not about deprivation but about exploration and I have made friends with loads more grains - more of this anon.   

The key thing for me though is that I have discovered that gluten is in almost everything we eat and snacks are almost all wheat-based so I have not been able to eat biscuits etc during breaks (I have been in training sessions for a week).  This gives me high hopes of weight loss: I am working on getting in great shape for next triathon season.  Mark and Pete are both skinny so that also encourages me that I will be able to get to fighting weight on this diet (OK they run 60km a week too...).

More gluten-free stuff soon...


No comments: